The Delaware City Schools Board of Education approved a number of change orders for ongoing construction projects at Woodward and Smith Elementary schools.
The board Monday night approved six deduction change orders with contractors working on the additions. Jason Sherman, the director of facilities and transportation for the district, said that will place $122,541 back in the district’s bond fund.
Sherman said contractors had unused allowance money that the district was able to get back.
School officials report that construction at both schools will add classroom additions to accommodate fifth-grade students and will remove trailers currently being used as classrooms. The improvements will also add a dedicated gym to eliminate shared cafeterias/gyms at both schools.
Both schools also will receive additional parking areas and improvements to playgrounds. Woodward will receive improvements for traffic flow and the bus drop-off area.
Sherman said construction is still on track to finish the additions at the elementary school this summer and begin work on several smaller improvement projects.
The change orders were:
• Two contract reductions of $15,000 each with Accurate Electric Construction for electrical work at both elementary schools.
• A $26,461 reduction to a contract with SONA Construction, LLC for work at Woodward.
• A $17,000 reduction to a contract with Bell & Blaire LLC for work at Smith.
• A $40,000 reduction to a contract with Robertson Construction Services, Inc. for work at Woodward.
• A $9,080 reduction to a contract with Kirk Bros. Masonry, Inc. for work at Smith.
The board also approved staffing changes.
The board approved the resignation of Keith Tankersley, a music teacher at Dempsey Middle School and Kelley Harding, an eighth grade math teacher at Dempsey.
The board also approved contracts for more than 130 certified employees, including teachers. A full list of approved contracts can be found on the board’s website.
The next board meeting will be at 6 p.m. on May 17 in the board room at Willis Education Center.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU