The owner of a Powell business was indicted Friday by a Delaware County grand jury on 17 felony charges, including rape, involving minor girls.
Danny Kitsos, 53, of 1941 Rockdale Drive, Columbus, was the owner and operator of Rita’s Ice, a restaurant in Powell. County prosecutors allege that between Sept. 1, 2012, and Oct. 31, 2015, Kitsos sexually abused five female employees.
He was indicted on the following charges:
• Rape, a first-degree felony.
• Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, a third-degree felony.
• Three counts of sexual battery, third-degree felonies.
• Two counts of compelling prostitution, third-degree felonies.
• Five charges of selling, purchasing, distributing or delivering dangerous drugs, fourth-degree felonies.
• Five counts of underage-persons offenses, which are first-degree misdemeanors. The indictment states that these charges are for providing alcohol to underage persons.
Prosecutors said the investigation began when one victim told her parents about the abuse and her parents contacted Powell police.
The first victim, listed as Jane Doe 1 in the indictment, was reportedly older than 13 but younger than 16 at the time the alleged rape and unlawful sexual conduct occurred. Prosecutors said the other victims in the case were 16 or 17 years old when the crimes occurred.
Prosecutors said Kitsos would provide the employees with drugs or alcohol and have sex with them. The indictment states Kitsos paid two of his employees to have sex with him.
A warrant was issued for Kitsos’ arrest Friday morning but prosecutors said Friday afternoon that Kitsos had turned himself in.
Kitsos was in the Delaware County Jail Friday afternoon.
An arraignment in Delaware County Common Pleas Court has not been set. Delaware County Common Pleas Judge Everett Krueger will preside over the case.
Powell police said Friday afternoon that Rita’s Ice was still open and under new management.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.