Dozens of candidates will cruise to victory on Nov. 3 due to a lack of competition.
In about 40 races across Delaware County, the number of candidates on the ballot will equal the number of open seats available. The filing deadline for candidates was 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Mayors James L. Nelson of Ashley, Thomas W. Hopper of Galena, Larry R. Crile of Ostrander and Tommy Hatfield of Sunbury will face no challengers in their re-election bids.
Village of Ashley council members Helen Caraway and Elaine McFarland will seek re-election unopposed.
In Sunbury, just one candidate – incumbent Len Weatherby – filed to run for two open seats. Council will appoint someone to fill the vacant seat.
Incumbent Daniel J. Matthews and Douglas Gil were the only two candidates to seek the two open seats on Shawnee Hill’s Village Council.
Four incumbent school board members – Mindy Meyer and Andrew Wecker in Big Walnut, along with Ted Backus and Matthew Weller in Delaware City Schools – will face no opposition.
Three Delaware City Council members – Chris Jones, Lisa M. Keller and Joseph J DiGenova – will run unopposed.
Marianne Hemmeter – who was appointed earlier this year – will face no competition in her bid to hold onto her Delaware Municipal Court judgeship.
The following township candidates will face no opposition:
• Berkshire Township: Trustees Bill Holtry and Mike Datillo, along with Fiscal Officer Melody George.
• Berlin Township: Trustee Ron Bullard and Fiscal Officer Claudia E. Smith.
• Brown Township: Fiscal Officer Peggy J. Link.
• Concord Township: Trustee candidate Philip Jason Haney and Fiscal Officer Jill M. Davis.
• Delaware Township: Trustee candidate Kevin Hennessy and Fiscal Officer Barbara J. Thomas.
• Genoa Township: Fiscal Officer Patrick M. Myers.
• Harlem Township: Trustee Jerry D. Paul.
• Kingston Township: Trustee Dewey V. Akers and Fiscal Officer Greg Roy.
• Liberty Township: Trustee Melanie Leneghan.
• Marlboro Township: Fiscal Officer Angela Clase.
• Orange Township: Fiscal Officer Joel M. Spitzer
• Oxford Township: Trustee James H. Hatten and Fiscal Officer candidate Joyce Leienberger.
• Porter Township: Trustee Bob Ryan and Fiscal Officer Mark A. Mazzon.
• Radnor Township: Fiscal Officer John Coonfare.
• Thompson Township: Trustee Kent G. Manley and Fiscal Officer Leslie Herbert.
• Trenton Township: Trustee Mark B. Almendinger and Fiscal Officer Cynthia F. Walton.
• Troy Township: Trustee Earl E. Lehner and fiscal officer candidate Sharon D. Malcom.
The Delaware County Board of Elections will meet Tuesday to certify candidate petitions.
Dustin Ensinger can be reached at 740-413-0902 or on Twitter @EnsingerDG.