The Arlington Historical Society of Virginia recently acquired a Civil War-era photograph of Capt. Richard W. Reynolds (1821-1906) of the 145th Ohio National Guard. Reynolds was a native of Delaware.
The 145th Ohio National Guard was mustered into federal service for 100 days on May 12, 1864, under the command of Col. Henry C. Ashwill, Lt. Col. Lloyd A. Lyman and Maj. Henry C. Olds. It was composed of the 21st Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Delaware County and the 13th Battalion from Erie County. Reynolds commanded Company E from Delaware County.
The 145th ONG was immediately sent to augment the defense fortifications protecting Washington, D.C. Upon its arrival, the unit was assigned to Gen. Christopher C. Augur’s XXII Corps of the Washington military district.
They were given garrison duty to four forts on the Arlington Heights — Forts Whipple, Woodbury, Tillinghast and Albany. These forts made up part of a series of defenses guarding the South-West approaches to Washington.
The 145th ONG manned this positions without incident. Upon completion of their tour, the 145th ONG was mustered out on Aug. 24, 1865, at Camp Chase, Ohio.
Reynolds is interred at Oak Grove Cemetery in Delaware.
The photograph is a albumin print “carte de visite” or CDV measuring 2.5 by 4 inches. The back of the card indicates it was photographed and processed by Hoag & Quick in Cincinnati.
The photograph is now part of a Civil War exhibit.
Information for this story was provided by the Arlington Historical Society of Virginia.