The Delaware Board of Education today will consider funding plans for expansion at Woodward Elementary School and a number of staffing changes.
The board will consider approving a number of construction contractors to begin working at Woodward Elementary. School officials report that construction will add classroom additions to accommodate fifth-grade students and will allow removal of trailers currently being used as classrooms.
The improvements will also add a dedicated gym to eliminate shared cafeterias/gym space at Woodward.
Woodward will also receive additional parking areas, improvements to its playgrounds, for traffic flow and the bus drop-off area.
At the meeting, the board will consider approving projects with the following contractors:
• Robertson Construction Services Inc. as the general trades contractor and would award it $1,886,500 for the project, including accepted alternate projects.
• SONA Construction LLC as the masonry contractor and would award it $815,000.
• M&C Construction LLC as the roofing contractor and would award it $442,999.
• Guenther Mechanical Inc. as the plumbing and HVAC contractor and would award it $666,985.
• Accurate Electric Construction Inc. as the electric/fire alarm/technology contractor and would award it $733,767.
• Trane Building Services and its proposal for HVAC equipment. If accepted, Trane would be awarded $348,581.
Construction is being financed by a 2013 bond issue passed by voters, and is projected will be completed by the start of 2017-18 school year. The addition will support the district’s move to a kindergarten through fifth grade at the elementary schools
The board will consider approving a number of staffing changes, including:
• Accepting the resignations of four teachers: Moriah Weber, who taught at Carlisle Elementary; Lauren Ruple, who taught at Dempsey Middle School; Erin Chandler, who taught at Dempsey; and Peter Minardi, who taught at Hayes High School.
• Approving the employment of two teachers: Alexandra Miller, who will teach at Schultz Elementary, and Lauren Robbins, who will teach at Hayes.
The board meeting will begin today at 6 p.m. at the administration building at 248 N. Washington St.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903