United Way of Delaware County has partnered with the Women’s Leadership network once again to organize its annual event “Supplies for Scholars.”
Supplies for Scholars aims to get children the tools necessary for academic success, organizers say.
They organize a drive every year collecting every supply a child might need as well as monetary donations in order to help families who may need assistance with supplies get their kids ready for the school year.
“United Way of Delaware County is proud to once again present Supplies for Scholars because we know that school shopping can be a significant drain on family finances,” said Brandon Feller, president of United Way of Delaware County. “This year, we are adding five mobile sites to make the program more accessible to all. Through the generous support of our sponsors and collection drives, we are preparing to serve up to 2,000 kids,”
“It’s truly a fun event and very rewarding to see the kids excited about going back to school,” he added.
In 2015, this event distributed a wide variety of school supplies valued at $47,000 to Delaware County students.
Starting Wednesday, Delaware County students will be able to come and get free school supplies and haircuts. The program has collected most everything necessary, from new backpacks, binders and notebooks, to crayons, markers, scissors and glue. There will also be refreshments along with activities like face painting.
All the dates along with the corresponding locations are as follows:
• Wednesday, July 27, noon to 2 p.m., LSS Ashley Mobile Food Pantry at Ashley Wesleyan Church, 305 E. High St., Ashley.
• Friday, July 29, 9 a.m. to noon, Willis Intermediate School, 74 W. William St.
• Wednesday, Aug. 3, noon to 2 p.m., LSS Ostrander Mobile Food Pantry at the Ostrander United Methodist Church, 166 W. North St., Ostrander.
• Monday, Aug. 8, noon to 2 p.m., LSS Mobile Food Pantry at Worthington Arms, 5277 Columbus Pike, Lewis Center.
• Wednesday, Aug. 10, noon to 2 p.m., LSS Westerville Mobile Food Pantry at Westerville Estates, 11050 Fancher Road, Westerville.
This event is for Delaware County families with students entering grades K-12. Families will register the day of the event. Proof of income is not needed but the student’s name, grade and school will be collected. Parents attending without students will be limited to two sets of supplies.
Morgyn Cooper is an intern for The Gazette.