Church marks 130th anniversary with service


Delaware Seventh Day Adventist Church will celebrate the 130th anniversary Saturday. Shown is the church’s historic pipe organ.

Delaware Seventh Day Adventist Church will celebrate the 130th anniversary Saturday. Shown is the church’s historic pipe organ.


The Delaware Seventh Day Adventist Church will celebrate the 130th anniversary of their historic building on Delaware’s Main Street, 104 N. Sandusky St., on Saturday at the 11 a.m. worship service. Former pastor, Dave Hutman, and current pastor, Dave Robinson, will lead the anniversary service.

The building’s cornerstone was laid in 1886 by the Lutheran church and the first worship service was held Oct. 17, 1886. The Lutheran church closed its doors in November, 1952.

The church sat empty for about a year before being sold to the Seventh Day Adventists in 1954. When purchased by the Adventists, the sanctuary had vines growing up the walls and birds living in it. The lower level, now a refurbished fellowship hall, was a gymnasium.

A 13-foot-tall pipe organ in the sanctuary is said to be the oldest working pipe organ in Delaware. It was made prior to 1875 by German immigrant, Koehnken. The church’s pianist will play the organ.

Many beautiful stain glass windows adorn the sanctuary, including the Gethsemane window that was donated for the 50th anniversary by Henry Bieberson, a member of the Lutheran’s and the owner of the Strand Theater.

Delaware mortician and cabinet maker, Matthew Wagner, designed and hand made the carved pulpit on the platform.

The church congregation invites the public to attend and join them for a vegetarian fellowship meal following.

Delaware Seventh Day Adventist Church will celebrate the 130th anniversary Saturday. Shown is the church’s historic pipe organ.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/2016/10/web1_Scan-3-1.jpegDelaware Seventh Day Adventist Church will celebrate the 130th anniversary Saturday. Shown is the church’s historic pipe organ.