After a year of planning, the Senior Showcase is ready to arrive at the Orange Branch Library this week! The Senior Showcase: Art After 55 is an art exhibit made possible through the collaboration of Willow Brook Christian Communities, SourcePoint, and the Delaware County District Library.
In 2015, these organizations came together and said it would be a great idea to show off the art that is created by the senior community in Delaware and surrounding counties.
The showcase received 200 submissions from 80 individuals in categories of all types, including leatherwork, stoneware, fiber, woodwork, ink, charcoal, colored pencil, oil, watercolor, pastel, mixed media, photography and much more. Nearly 150 of those pieces will be on display throughout the library. The collaborating agencies could not be more excited at the turnout and excitement surrounding this inaugural event.
Art will be on display Friday, Oct. 14 through Saturday, Oct. 22. Formal judging will take place prior to the grand opening on Friday night, and winners will be announced in categories for 2D and 3D, as well as a Best of Show award.
When you visit the exhibit, you are encouraged to vote for your pick for the People’s Choice award. You can pick up a voting ticket at the Circulation Desk and submit your choice after you’ve seen all the pieces. Some art will also be on sale, depending on the preference of the artist. Interested buyer cards can be filled out and will be given in priority order to artists when art is picked up after the show.
Enjoy these new DVDs available for hold now in the DCDL collection.
• Ghostbusters. This re-boot of the original stars funny women Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones.
• Ice Age: Collision Course. When Scrat triggers cosmic events that threaten the Ice Age world, Manny, Sid, Diego and the rest of the herd embark on an epic quest in order to survive a global Scrat-tastrophe!
• The Infiltrator. Bryan Cranston plays an undercover U.S. Customs agent who infiltrates the globe’s most powerful cartels and takes down the largest drug and money laundering operation in U.S. history.
• Into the Forest. Two sisters must fight to survive a terrifying global blackout in this riveting apocalyptic thriller.
• Ithaca. When his older brother leaves to fight in the Second World War, fourteen-year-old Homer Macauley takes on a job as a bicycle telegraph messenger, and delivers messages of love, hope and death to the good people of Ithaca.
• Legend of Tarzan. Tarzan, having acclimated to life in London, is called back to his former home in the jungle to investigate the activities at a mining encampment.
• Swiss Army Man. Hank (Paul Dano) is stranded on a deserted island and given up all hope. Everything changes when a corpse named Manny (Daniel Radcliffe) washes ashore. The two become fast friends, and go on an epic adventure to bring Hank back to the woman of his dreams.
• X-Men: Apocalypse. Apocalypse, the most powerful mutant in Marvel’s X-Men universe, tries to destroy mankind.
If you have a question that you would like to see answered in this column, mail it to Nicole Fowles, Delaware County District Library, 84 E. Winter St., Delaware, OH 43015, or call us at 740-362-3861. You can also email your questions by visiting the library’s web site at www.delawarelibrary.org or directly to Nicole at [email protected] No matter how you contact us, we’re always glad you asked!