Woman scheduled to plea in child abuse case

By Glenn Battishill - [email protected]




A Delaware woman charged with child endangerment has been scheduled to change her plea today in Delaware County Common Pleas Court.

Natasha Marie Moore, 29, and Abdurahman Mohamed Abdurahman, 23, of Delaware, are both accused in connection with severe injuries to Moore’s 1-year-old son, Phoenyx, and were scheduled to stand trial on Nov. 29 in Delaware County Common Pleas Court.

However, on Nov. 10 a judgment entry was filed that stated that Moore had been scheduled for a change of plea hearing on Nov. 15 at 3:30.

Moore is charged with two counts of endangering children, which are third-degree felonies, and Abdurahman is charged with felonious assault, a second-degree felony, and two felony counts of endangering children, for allegedly abusing Moore’s son in January.

Abdurahman’s attorney, Megan Grant, filed a motion on Nov. 9 asking for Delaware County Common Pleas Judge David Gormley to continue the trial set for Nov. 29. However, the motion was denied on Nov. 10.

According to court documents, Abdurahman is still scheduled for trial on Nov. 29. The trial is expected to last at least four days, according to Dumolt.

Abdurahman is also scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 15 at 10:30 a.m. for a suppression hearing regarding evidence from Abdurahman’s phone that Grant said was obtained illegally. Prosecutors responded in a motion that Abdurahman provided written and oral consent for police to search the phone.

Moore and Abdurahman were originally scheduled to stand trial on April 12 after being indicted on Jan. 22.

The boy has since been released from the hospital. Prosecutors allege that Abdurahman hit the baby’s head against a wall several times on Jan. 13 and caused serious injuries.

A grand-jury indictment for Moore states that she created a “substantial risk to the health or safety of the child, by violating a duty of care, protection or support” because she did not stop the abuse.

Prosecutors said the case was reported to police after the couple brought the boy to the hospital.

During an interview with detectives on Jan. 13, Abdurahman said he and Moore were the only people to have been in custody of the boy for the previous 48 hours.

They were both in the Delaware County Jail Monday afternoon.



By Glenn Battishill

[email protected]

Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.

Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.