Ohio Wesleyan University has announced its December 2015 lineup of public events.
Unless otherwise noted, admission is free. The schedule includes:
• Dec.1-Jan. 31 – “In Close Proximity,” featuring seven OWU fine arts faculty members displaying their latest works, at the university’s Richard M. Ross Art Museum, 60 S. Sandusky St. An artist reception will be held for participating faculty from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 3. The OWU professors exhibit every other year at the museum. During the academic year, the museum is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. It will close Dec. 17 for winter break and reopen Jan. 12.
• 7:30 p.m. Dec. 2 – OWU men’s basketball vs. Wooster, in Branch Rickey Arena, 105 S. Sandusky St. Tickets are $8 for adults, $3 for students, and free for anyone under age 5 or with an Ohio Wesleyan ID.
• 3:15 p.m. Dec. 3 – OWU student vocal recital featuring Allison Dawson, in Jemison Auditorium inside Sanborn Hall, 23 Elizabeth St.
• 6:30 p.m. Dec 3 – Estela Harretche and Ellen Kaplan, professors of Spanish and theatre at Smith College, discuss “Spanish Theatre Today,” in the Bayley Room on the second floor of Beeghly Library, 43 Rowland Ave. Their presentation is sponsored by the OWU Honors Program and the Department of Modern Foreign Languages.
• 6:30 p.m. Dec 4 – Spanish/English play “La nieta del dictador/The Dictator’s Granddaughter,” will be performed by Estela Harretche and Ellen Kaplan, professors of Spanish and Theatre at Smith College, in Jemison Auditorium inside Sanborn Hall.
• 8 p.m. Dec. 4 and Dec. 5 — Ohio Wesleyan directing class/playwriting class present “One Act Plays” featuring student-directors and playwrights on the Main Stage inside Chappelear Drama Center, 45 Rowland Ave. This event may contain adult themes and language.
• 8 p.m. Dec. 4, 11, and 18 – Evening programs at Ohio Wesleyan’s Perkins Observatory, 3199 Columbus Pike (U.S. 23). Content varies based on sky conditions, but may include a planetarium show, observatory tours, and star gazing with the 32-inch Schottland Telescope. The observatory will be closed Dec. 26. Advance tickets are $8 for adults, and $6 for children and senior citizens. Reserve tickets by calling 740-363-1257.
• 3:15 p.m. Dec. 6 — Ohio Wesleyan Choral Art Society concert, conducted by faculty member Jason Hiester, in Jemison Auditorium.
• 3 p.m. Dec. 19 – OWU men’s basketball vs. Kenyon, in Branch Rickey Arena. Tickets are $8 for adults, $3 for students, and free for anyone under age 5 or with an Ohio Wesleyan ID.
• 2 p.m. Dec. 22 – OWU women’s basketball vs. Kenyon, in Branch Rickey Arena. Tickets are $8 for adults, $3 for students, and free for anyone under age 5 or with an Ohio Wesleyan ID.
• Dec. 29 and Dec. 30 – OWU women’s basketball Bishop Classic/Hoops for Hope, in Branch Rickey Arena. Admission to all Hoops for Hope tournament games is free, but monetary contributions will be accepted to benefit the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund, which supports breast cancer awareness, education and research. Games will include: 6 p.m. Dec. 29, Ohio Wesleyan vs. Brescia; 8 p.m. Dec. 29, Oneonta State vs. Wilmington; 1 p.m. Dec. 30, Hoops for Hope consolation game; 3 p.m. Dec. 30, Hoops for Hope championship game.
For the latest OWU event information, including schedule changes, visit www.owu.edu/events. For Battling Bishop athletics, visit www.battlingbishops.com. For webstreaming, visit www.owu.edu/stream.
Information for this story was provided by Ohio Wesleyan University.