Bond has been set for $50,000 for a Delaware man accused of assaulting and abducting his ex-girlfriend on several occasions this fall.
Vernon William Davis Jr., 66, of 36 Little St., entered a not-guilty plea to two counts of abduction, which are third-degree felonies; seven felony counts of violating a protection order; two counts of domestic violence, which are first-degree misdemeanors; and three counts of assault, first-degree misdemeanors, at his arraignment Thursday afternoon in Delaware County Common Pleas Court.
Assistant county prosecuting attorney Cory Goe told Magistrate Kristin Schultz that the charges stem from five separate incidents involving Davis and a former girlfriend, who had taken out a restraining order against him.
Goe outline the incidents at the arraignment Thursday:
• On Oct. 7, police said Davis forced the woman to get in a car with him and drove her to a location, parking the car against a wall so she could not open the passenger door. He then assaulted her and spit on her.
• On Oct. 8, Davis was spotted in the woman’s car and reportedly took her cellphone before driving away. When she used another phone to call her phone, Davis picked up.
• On Oct. 24, police said a fight occurred at an address on Belle Avenue and Davis punched a Delaware man in the face and assaulted the woman.
• On Nov. 3, police said Davis had taken the woman into his vehicle against her will and drove by the same Delaware man whom he had assaulted earlier to yell at him. After receiving a call from the man, police conducted a traffic stop and Davis was then arrested and charged with violating a protection order.
• On Nov. 4, Davis called the woman from jail and she reported the call to police. He was subsequently charged with another count of violating a protection order.
Goe said Davis has an extensive criminal history, including at least 22 convictions in Delaware County.
Schultz set Davis’ bond at $50,000 and ordered that he have no contact with either the woman or the man he assaulted if he is released.
Schultz also set Davis’ trial date for Jan. 19.
Davis was being held in the Delaware County Jail Thursday.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG