Liberty Township Trustees elected Trustee Melanie Leneghan as the 2017 board chair Tuesday night with trustee Shyra Eichhorn elected as vice chair.
Before the election, trustees took a moment to express their thoughts about the loss of the Fleming and Casey families whose plane went down Thursday night over Lake Erie.
Leneghan said, “It was a terrible loss Thursday night of very good people who had been contributors to the community and our prayers go out to them.”
Eichhorn said it was a “horrific tragedy” and that the families are in “their thoughts and prayers.”
Trustee Tom Mitchell said it wasn’t just about the people who were lost, but about those who knew them.
Trustees passed a resolution establishing salaries to be paid monthly for them as trustees and the fiscal officer. Leneghan is paid the annual salary of $21,596 with Mitchell and Eichhorn being paid an annual salary of $20,568 each.
As fiscal officer, Denutte is paid $29,584 annually.
In other business trustees:
• Accepted purchase orders and blanket certificates to close out 2016 business that totaled $148,401.
• Accepted bills, warrants and charges for 2016 totaling $166,164.
• Accepted bills, warrants and charges for 2017 totalling $380,601.
• Authorized the pay for the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Zoning Commission to be $75 per meeting.
• Authorized township officers to incur cost up to the statutory limit of $2,500.
• Authorized the payment for emergency repairs of a fire engine up to $3,825.
After regular business trustees moved the meeting to an executive session to consider the employment of a public official or employee, to consider the purchase or sale of property and/or matters require to be kept confidential by federal law or state statutes.
D. Anthony Botkin may be reached at 740-413-0902 or on Twitter @dabotkin.