Monday’s low temperatures and below-zero wind-chill factor are just the beginning of bad weather this week, according to the National Weather Service.
The temperature was forecast to drop to 3 degrees Monday night but the wind chill made the temperature feel more like negative 10 degrees.
A wind-chill advisory was issued by the National Weather Service Monday at 3:32 p.m. for Delaware County and will expire at 10 a.m. Tuesday.
The National Weather Service urges that county residents going out in the wind dress warmly and not leave skin exposed to the wind for extended periods of time or they may be afflicted with frostbite.
Temperatures during the day today will be a little higher with a forecast high near 17 degrees during the day but temperatures will drop to around 11 degrees tonight. The National Weather Service forecasts that wind-chill values may reach as low as negative 11 degrees today but will taper off tonight as wind speed decreases. It will be mostly sunny Tuesday with increasing clouds overnight, the weather service reports.
The weather service reports an 80 percent chance that snow will begin falling Wednesday morning, mostly after 10 a.m. New snow accumulation is expected to be around an inch.
Temperatures will top out at 25 degrees Wednesday and 29 degrees on Thursday with lows of 14 degrees and 22 degrees respectively.
It is not forecast to snow again until Friday morning.
The Delaware General Health District said frostbite is a concern in times like this.
The district reports that frostbite affects areas like the nose, ears, cheeks, chin, fingers and toes. The risk of frostbite is increased for people with reduced blood circulation and for people who aren’t properly dressed.
The first signs of frostbite include redness or pain in any skin area or numbness, a white or grayish-yellow skin area or skin that feels unusually firm.
If you think you have frostbite, seek medical attention first and foremost, health officials said. The health district also recommends getting to a warm room as soon as possible, avoid walking on frostbitten feet or toes, immerse the affected area in warm – not hot – water.
They also discourage using heating pads, heating lamps or the heat of a fireplace, stove or radiator because frostbitten skin is numb and therefore can be easily burned.
Authorities also said pets should be brought indoors and owners should ensure they have a warm area with unfrozen water.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.