Increasing summer heat means an increased demand for box fans at People In Need Inc. of Delaware County.
When it comes to moving the cool air into the house and the hot air out, “Even one fan makes a big difference,” said Kevin Crowley, PIN executive director.
Delaware County Emergency Management and People In Need have teamed up with area fire departments and EMS to collect new — still in the box — box fans.
“We created this fan drive a few years back with the goal of helping People in Need of Delaware County continue to supply new box fans to our community members who need relief from the heat, but are unable to purchase a fan of their own,” said Sandy Mackey, EMA administration manager. “The drive runs until Sept. 15, or until the need no longer exists for this year.”
Mackey said the Delaware County District Library is accepting box fans at all of its branches.
“We are excited to add the Delaware County District Library to those organizations that will be accepting fan donations,” Mackey said in a press release. “The Delaware County District Library has offered their air-conditioned locations to residents wanting to beat the heat and cool down.”
Crowley said area fire departments will take fans to PIN almost as soon as they get them.
“They’ll run them in here even if it’s only a couple,” he said. “I don’t know what I’d do without all these folks. Thank you to all the fire departments.”
All fans collected will go to Delaware County residents that are served by People in Need located at 138 Johnson Drive, Delaware.
New box fans can be dropped off at the following locations:
• Elm Valley Joint Fire District, 9821 U.S. 42 North, Ashley
• Berlin Township Fire Department, 2708 Lackey Old State Road, Delaware
• BST&G Fire District, 350 W. Cherry St., Sunbury
• Concord Township Fire Department, 7943 Dublin Road, Delaware
• Delaware City Fire Department, 99 S. Liberty St., Delaware
• Delaware City Fire Department, 683 Pittsburg Dr., Delaware
• Delaware City Fire Department, 1320 West Central Ave., Delaware
• Delaware County EMS Station #1, 909 U.S. 23 North, Delaware
• Delaware County EMS Station #2, 283 W. Granville St., Sunbury
• Delaware County EMS Station #3, 6226 Third Ave., Lewis Center
• Delaware County EMS Station #4, 4095 State Route 203, Radnor
• Delaware County EMS Station #5, 245 W. High St., Ashley
• Delaware County EMS Station #6, 12844 Olive Green Road, Sunbury
• Delaware County EMS Station #7, 7177-A Northgate Way, Westerville
• Delaware County EMS Station #8, 6457 U.S. 36 West, Ostrander
• Delaware County EMS Station #9, 13961 Woodtown Road, Galena
• Delaware County EMS Station #10, 2708 Lackey Old State Road, Delaware
• Genoa Township Fire Department, 7049 Big Walnut Road, Galena
• Harlem Township Fire Department, 3883 S. State Route 605, Galena
• Liberty Township Fire Department, 7761 Liberty Road, Powell
• Liberty Township Fire Department, 10150 Sawmill Road, Powell
• Orange Township Fire Department, 7700 Gooding Blvd., Delaware
• Orange Township Fire Department, 7307 S. Old State Road, Lewis Center
• Porter/Kingston Fire District, 12844 Olive Green Road, Sunbury
• Radnor Township Fire Department, 4061 State Route 203, Radnor
• Scioto Township Fire Department, 3737 Ostrander Road, Ostrander
• Tri-Township Fire District, 495 Sunbury Road, Delaware
• Tri-Township Fire District, 660 Coover Road, Delaware
• Delaware County District Library 84 E. Winter St., Delaware
• Delaware County District Library Orange Branch 7171 Gooding Blvd., Delaware
• Delaware County District Library Ostrander Branch 75 N. Fourth St., Ostrander
• Delaware County District Library Powell Branch 460 S. Liberty Road, Powell
For information, visit www.delcoema.org and click on the media releases tab.
D. Anthony Botkin may be reached at 740-413-0902 or on Twitter @dabotkin.