The Delaware City Schools Board of Education approved hiring a number of new teachers and approved a 2-percent pay increase for staff at their meeting Monday night.
At the meeting, the board approved a number of staffing changes, including accepting the resignation of two teachers, Laura Sidol, teacher at Schultz Elementary, and Hayes High School teacher Caitlin Kokinov.
The board then approved the following new hires:
• Aaron Cable, a fifth-grade math teacher at Schultz.
• Chelsea Lucas, a kindergarten teacher at Schultz.
• Nicholas Smith, a psychologist at Willis Education Center.
• Megan Norem, a music teacher at Smith Elementary.
• Michele Cotterman, a math teacher at Hayes.
• Dianna Anasis, a third-grade teacher at Schultz.
• Julie Magnuson, a psych intern at Willis.
• Laura Langenberg, a psychologist at Willis.
• Lyda Schilling, a fifth-grade teacher at Schultz.
• Paul Olen, a science teacher at Hayes.
• Doreen VanHoose, a kindergarten teacher at Schultz.
• Cassie Bricker, an intervention specialist at Dempsey.
• Jordan Nichol, a social studies teacher at Hayes.
The board then approved a 2-percent pay increase for staff, including custodians, bus drivers, cooks, and Ohio Association of Public School Employees groups such as administrative assistants, aides, librarians. A 2-percent pay increase was also approved for administrators.
Additionally, the board approved a change order for construction at Hayes High School and granted Ohio Plumbing and Electric, Inc. an additional $56,736 for their work with the ongoing renovation. The renovation will convert spaces on the east side of the school into a fitness room and new eating area.
The board also approved a proposal from Snider Recreation, Inc. to provide and install a pre-school playground at Woodward Elementary. The cost of the project is $39,560.
Finally, the board swore in Charlie Zimmerman as the new Student Board Member. Zimmerman is an incoming senior at Hayes and replaces Kelli Curcillo, who graduated in May.
The board will meet next on Aug. 7 at 6 p.m. in the board room at Willis Education Center.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.