Delaware County residents will have to adjust their travel plans on Sunday during the Ironman 70.3 Ohio triathlon.
The competition’s second year in Ohio will feature about 2,500 athletes who are expected to swim 1.2 miles, ride a bicycle for 56 miles and run 13.1 miles in succession over the course of eight hours.
“The main improvement is a new bike course. The goal of the new course is to have lesser of an impact on residents, while improving the experience for the athletes. There will be fewer turns and long straightaways to allow for a fast course,” said Ken Hammond, the race director.
On Sunday, athletes will be traveling in both directions on South Henry Street from 4 a.m. to 5 p.m. with an officer to direct vehicles. On Kingsbury Road, between Pollock and Berlin Station, the road will be open to local traffic only with the rest to be detoured.
Ironman officials ask motorists traveling eastbound on Kingsbury toward Berlin Station to do so in the westbound lane from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. On Berlin Station, all vehicles are asked to travel north in the northbound lane. Homes can be accessed from Braunmiller and Pollock roads and Olentangy Avenue.
Here are other roads impacted by the bike and run courses, according to the Ironman event website:
Open with delays
• State Route 98: From U.S. 23 to State Route 309, 7-11:30 a.m.
• State Route 309: State Route 98 to State Route 746, 8 a.m. to noon
• State Route 746: State Route 309 to U.S. 42, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• U.S. 42: State Route 746 to Wheeler Road, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• Wheeler Road: U.S. 42 to Shoemaker Road, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Shoemaker Road: Wheeler to Steamtown roads, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• Steamtown Road: Shoemaker to Leonardsburg roads, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Leonardsburg Road: Steamtown to Horseshoe roads, 9:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
• Horseshoe Road: Leonardsburg to Panhandle roads, 9:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
• Pandhandle Road: Horseshoe to Horseshoe roads, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Berlin Station Road (Northbound): Kingsbury to Braumiller Roads, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Pollock Road (Southbound): Olentangy Avemue to Braumiller Road, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Olentangy Avenue (Eastbound Lane): South Henry Street to Pollock Road, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Closed/Local traffic only
• U.S. 42/Lake Street: U.S. 42/ Lake Street to East Winter Street, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Kingsbury Road: Pollock to Berlin Station road, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Berlin Station Road (Southbound): Kingsbury to Braumiller roads, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Pollock Road (Northbound): Olentangy Avenue to Braumiller Road, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Olentangy Avenue (Westbound Lane): South Henry Street to Pollock Road, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• South Henry Street: East William Street to Olentangy Avenue, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For information, visit www.ironman.com. Click on the “Races” tab, then click on “Ironman 70.3” to find the local event website.
Gazette reporter Brandon Klein can be reached by email or on Twitter at @brandoneklein.