Graduating high school seniors in Delaware County have until March 18 to apply for college scholarships from the Delaware County Foundation.
The foundation will be awarding more than 40 scholarships from its 20 scholarship funds for high school seniors. Scholarships range from $500 to $2,500.
“Starting the application process early will be helpful for students and their families,” says Marlene Casini, president of the Delaware County Foundation. “Applications require gathering information, writing an essay, completing financial aid information FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov) and acquiring a transcript.”
New scholarships this year include the Classics Eagles C.A.R.E.S. Scholarship, the Terri L. Copeland Memorial Buckeye Business Scholarship, the John and Zepha Nassano Memorial Scholarship, and the Charles H. and Betty J. Sheets Family Scholarship, and the Mike Watkins Scholarship.
The Mike Watkins scholarship was established in memory of Mike Watkins, a graduate of Buckeye Valley High School and The Ohio State University. While in high school, Mike exceled at all sports, was involved in student council, the varsity club, concert band and the National Honor Society. His senior year he was awarded the Hardin Memorial Award which was given to the class scholar/athlete. He was also inducted into the first Buckeye Valley Hall of Fame class. Following college, Mike was able to purchase property in Radnor and start a successful farming career. He served as Radnor Township trustee for 22 years. Mike’s passions were farming, playing golf, and serving his community. Students from Buckeye Valley High School applying for this scholarship should be majoring in agriculture or political science
The Classics Eagles C.A.R.E.S. Scholarship is to be awarded to a senior who has participated at least two years in Classics Eagles soccer. These students should exemplify the principles of Classics Eagles: Community involvement, action, responsibility, extraordinary and service.
The family of Terri Copeland established a scholarship in memory of the founder and owner of the TLC Group, an accounting and CPA firm. This scholarship recognizes her love of The Ohio State University and therefore preference for the recipient will be given to students majoring in business at Ohio State.
Longtime Delaware County residents Charles H. and Betty J. Sheets established their scholarship for graduating seniors pursuing a degree in agriculture, engineering, nursing/medicine or food science.
The John and Zepha Nassano Memorial Scholarship was established through a trust and was recently moved to the foundation to manage.
All applications are available online at www.delawarecf.org. Scholarship recipients will be announced this spring at the high school awards nights throughout the county.
The other available scholarships for the 2016-17 academic year are:
• Bill Rietz Scholarship — Graduating senior, and current or former Delaware Aquatic Racing Team Stingrays (DARTS) member.
• Delaware County Republican Women’s Club Scholarship — Graduating seniors from public and private schools in Delaware County.
• Edith W. Hewitt Memorial Scholarship — High school seniors, college sophomore, junior and seniors. Delaware County residents who demonstrate financial need.
• Gary’s Eagles Scholarship — Awarded to an Eagle Scout who is a high school senior, college sophomore, junior, or senior. Delaware County or central Ohio Students.
• James A. Augur Scholarship — Graduating Delaware and Marion County seniors pursuing vocational education, job skills training or credentials that lead to a career.
• Jami G. Wilson Scholarship — Graduating Delaware Hayes Senior who attended Conger Elementary School.
• John and Zepha Nassano Memorial Scholarship — Graduating high school seniors from Delaware County public high schools.
• Kristi Hill Memorial Scholarship — Preference given to graduating seniors from Olentangy schools attending Bowling Green State University.
• Larry Eberst Memorial Athletic Scholarship — Graduating senior athlete from Delaware Hayes High School.
• Manos Family Scholarship — Graduating seniors attending Ohio Wesleyan University (one scholarship per Delaware County high school).
• Olentangy Education Foundation — Up to 10 scholarships awarded to graduating seniors from all three Olentangy high schools.
• Richard Kettering Scholarship — One scholarship awarded to a graduating senior at the Delaware Area Career Center in automotive collision to continue his/her education within the industry at a technical institution.
• Thrive For Life Scholarship — Graduating Delaware Hayes seniors whose life has been touched by cancer, through a friend or family member, or personally.
• Walter L Davis III Family Scholarship — One scholarship per Delaware County high school.
• Weiler Family NorthStar Scholarship — Big Walnut High School graduating seniors (five scholarships per year).
Scholarships are for students who will be enrolled full time.
In addition to the scholarships available to graduating seniors, there are two for college sophomores, juniors and seniors from Delaware County who are enrolled full time. Applications for these scholarships are due on June 3:
• Ralph T. and Mabel C. Gooding Memorial Scholarship — College sophomore, junior and senior from Delaware County.
• Donald F. and Ruby A. Westbrook Scholarship — OSU agriculture student from Delaware or Morrow counties.
For information about applications, establishing a scholarship or contributing to a scholarship fund, contact the foundation at 614-764-2332.
Information for this story was provided by the Delaware County Foundation.