Summer Reading Club is easily one of the busiest times of the year at the Delaware County District Library system. Kids began tracking their reading on May 28 and we’ve already got 2,600 readers signed up for the challenge!
In addition to the goal of reading 12 hours by July 23, we also encourage everyone to stop by the library for fun programs for all ages each week. Here are some of the programs you’ll want to mark on your calendar.
At the Delaware main library, we’re getting a visit from the Shazzbots, a musical group that is bringing cool, quirky, rock music to all the children of the cosmos. You’ll hear songs like “Milkshake!” and “Space Captain” at the library on Wednesday, June 15, at 6:30 p.m.
Kids ages 6-11 will work out their ninja skills and learn some new ones at a “Ninja Training Camp” at the Orange branch library on Monday, June 13, at 2 p.m.
The “Poof Daddy Comedy Magic Show” is making double appearances at DCDL this week, with a show at the Orange branch library on Tuesday, June 14, at 6:30 p.m. and another at the Ostrander branch on Thursday, June 16, at 6:30 p.m. His fast-paced, up-beat and totally off-the-wall comedy magic gets the audience involved and having a great time.
The Powell branch library is having a crafty kind of week with programs inspired by Disney/Pixar. On Tuesday, June 14, at 2 p.m. kids ages 6-11 will make some crafts inspired by the upcoming release of “Finding Dory.” Teens and adults will gather to make Disney/Pixar quote necklaces on Thursday, June 16, at 6:30 p.m.
Once it’s time to unwind at home, browse our new DVD section and put your feet up while you watch. New are:
• “Eddie the Eagle.” Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman co-star in the inspirational true story of Eddie the Eagle, a British ski-jumper whose Olympic performance wins the hearts of fans around the world.
• “Gods of Egypt.” Gerard Butler and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau star as rival gods locked in an epic battle to decide the fate of the universe in this thrilling fantasy-adventure.
• “Mr. Right.” A young woman who’s been unlucky in love discovers her perfect match is a professional hitman in this killer comedy starring Anna Kendrick, Sam Rockwell and Tim Roth.
• “10 Cloverfield Lane.” After a car crash, a woman wakes up in a survivalist’s bunker. He claims to have saved her from an apocalyptic attack but, growing suspicious of his motives, she’ll have to escape to discover the truth in this heart-pounding new thriller from J.J. Abrams.
• “13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.” The gripping true story of six elite ex-military operators assigned to protect the CIA who fought back against overwhelming odds when terrorists attacked a U.S. diplomatic compound on Sept. 11, 2012.
• “Zootopia.” Disney presents an action-comedy adventure set in the all-animal city of Zootopia. Determined to prove herself, Officer Judy Hopps jumps at the chance to crack a case, even if it means partnering with fast-talking Nick Wilde to solve the mystery.
If you have a question that you would like to see answered in this column, mail it to Nicole Fowles, Delaware County District Library, 84 E. Winter St., Delaware OH 43015, or call us at 740-362-3861. You can also email your questions by visiting the library’s website at www.delawarelibrary.org or directly to Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org. No matter how you contact us, we’re always glad you asked.