The former owner of a Powell business accused of having sex with five of his employees will be arraigned in Delaware County Common Pleas Court today on several criminal charges, including rape.
Danny Kitsos, 53, of 1941 Rockdale Drive, Columbus, the previous owner and operator of Rita’s Ice, an establishment in Powell, will appear before Delaware County Common Pleas Judge Everett Krueger at 10:30 a.m. today to face the following charges:
• Rape, a first-degree felony.
• Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, a third-degree felony.
• Three counts of sexual battery, third-degree felonies.
• Two counts of compelling prostitution, third-degree felonies.
• Five charges of selling, purchasing, distributing or delivering dangerous drugs, fourth-degree felonies.
• Five counts of underage-persons offenses, which are first-degree misdemeanors. The indictment states that these charges are for providing alcohol to underage persons.
Kitsos, who was indicted by a grand jury March 24, will be represented by Delaware defense attorney Brian Jones.
County prosecutors allege that between Sept. 1, 2012, and Oct. 31, 2015, Kitsos sexually abused five female employees.
Prosecutors said the investigation began when one victim told her parents about the abuse and her parents contacted Powell police.
Matt Simon, the current owner of Rita’s Ice, said Tuesday that Kitsos signed over the business earlier this month and has nothing to do with it anymore. Simon said Rita’s Ice is still open and under his ownership now.
The first victim, listed as Jane Doe 1 in the indictment, was reportedly older than 13 but younger than 16 at the time the alleged rape and unlawful sexual conduct occurred. Prosecutors said the other victims in the case were 16 or 17 years old when the crimes occurred.
Prosecutors said Kitsos would provide the employees with drugs or alcohol and have sex with them. The indictment states Kitsos paid two of his employees to have sex with him.
A warrant was issued for Kitsos’ arrest after he was indicted March 24. Prosecutors said that Kitsos had turned himself in that afternoon.
Kitsos was in the Delaware County Jail Tuesday.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.