The first Delaware Board of Education meeting of the 2015-16 school year included a number of staffing changes and discussions about students returning to school.
The board on Monday accepted the resignations of a number of staff members, including:
• Mary Kate Kohlhas, a teacher at Woodward Elementary School.
• Joshua Boysei, an educational assistant at Carlisle Elementary School.
• Jennifer Gliebe, an administrative assistant at Hayes High School.
• A number of cooks/cashiers at schools throughout the district.
• Renee Cook, a library media specialist.
The board also approved the employment of a number of staff members, including:
• Jennifer Jackson, an administrative assistant in guidance at Willis Intermediate School.
• Rachel Jordan, a part-time physical-education teacher at Willis.
• Kaitlyn Frish, a teacher at Woodward.
• Educational assistants, a technology specialist, cooks/cashiers, custodians and various other positions.
Abbey Jones, a student member of the school board, also spoke about the start of the school year and how she felt about the new house system at Hayes High School.
“I’m disappointed as a senior that I only get one year of this,” Jones said. “We are ready as students to see the next step. Overall, it’s building up to a really smooth transition.”
Hayes Vice Principal Rex Reeder said the house system was created to give common ground to students and allow students to develop more relationships and a sense of community.
The board approved 10 classified substitutes for the 2015-16 school year, as well as bus routes.
The board also approved 29 supplemental contracts for the 2015-16 school year, including those of many athletic staff members.
The board approved two student trips for the upcoming school year — a French class trip to Quebec, Canada, June 1-5, and a Hayes Talisman journalism student trip to Orlando, Florida, Nov. 11-16.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.