The Delaware Board of Education approved funding plans for expansion at Woodward Elementary School and approved a number of staffing changes at its Monday meeting.
The board approved a number of construction contractors to begin working at Woodward Elementary. School officials report that construction will add classroom additions to accommodate fifth-grade students and will allow removal of trailers currently being used as classrooms.
The improvements will also add a dedicated gym to eliminate shared cafeterias/gym space at Woodward.
Woodward will also receive additional parking areas, improvements to its playgrounds, for traffic flow and the bus drop-off area.
The board approved projects with the following contractors:
• Robertson Construction Services Inc. as the general trades contractor and awarded it $1,886,500 for the project, including accepted alternate projects.
• SONA Construction LLC as the masonry contractor and awarded it $815,000.
• M&C Construction LLC as the roofing contractor and awarded it $442,999.
• Guenther Mechanical Inc. as the plumbing and HVAC contractor and awarded it $666,985.
• Accurate Electric Construction Inc. as the electric/fire alarm/technology contractor and awarded it $733,767.
• Trane Building Services and its proposal for HVAC equipment. After approval from the board, Trane was awarded a $348,581 contract.
Construction is being financed by a 2013 bond issue passed by voters, and is projected will be completed by the start of 2017-18 school year. The addition will support the district’s move to a kindergarten through fifth grade at the elementary schools.
Until the construction is completed, Woodward fifth-graders will be instructed at Willis Intermediate School.
The board also approved a number of staffing changes, including:
• Accepting the resignations of four teachers — Moriah Weber, who taught at Carlisle Elementary; Lauren Ruple, who taught at Dempsey Middle School; Erin Chandler, who taught at Dempsey; and Peter Minardi, who taught at Hayes High School.
• Accepting the resignation of Abby Schaperkotter, grant coordinator for the district.
• Approving the employment of two teachers — Alexandra Miller, who will teach at Schultz Elementary, and Lauren Robbins, who will teach at Hayes.
• Approving supplemental contracts for numerous employees, including baseball head coach Patrick Montgomery and basketball head coach Jordan Blackburn, as well as other athletic coaches, camp coordinators and other extracurricular coordinators.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.