Leaders of the Second Ward Community Initiative are inviting the community to join them at their event “Garden Gatherings” — where attendees can learn anything they want to know about planting gardens from the Delaware County Master Gardeners.
The Healthy Community Garden is a collaborative program spearheaded by the Second Ward Community Initiative. It is focused on motivating and inspiring the residents of the Second Ward on healthy, cost-effective ways to grow vegetables, fruits, herbs or flowers right in their own neighborhood, organizers say.
The program partnered with local community stakeholders, such as the Delaware Vineyard Church and the Delaware General Health District, in order to utilize the community garden as an avenue to bring the community together, and to impart knowledge about healthy eating, they say.
The Garden Gatherings are held every Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Second Ward Community Initiative Community Gardens at the Ross Street Park.
The dates with their meeting topics are:
• Today — Soil and water health.
• July 28 — Organic pest control.
• Aug. 4 — Sustainable farming.
• Aug. 11 — What to do with all your tomatoes.
• Aug. 18 — How to make gardening easier.
• Aug. 25 — Fall vegetable gardening.
• Sept. 1 — Eating healthy from the garden.
• Sept. 8 — Get an early start on next year’s garden.
• Sept. 15 — Selection and care of gardening tools.
• Sept. 22 — Pollinators in your garden.
• Sept. 29 — Putting your garden to bed for the winter.
Speakers will talk about 10-15 minutes, then have time for questions. The Community Gardens is located at 50 Ross St.
Morgyn Cooper is an intern for The Gazette.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU