Ohio Wesleyan University has announced its December 2015 lineup of public events.
Unless otherwise noted, admission is free. For the latest OWU event information, including schedule changes, visit www.owu.edu/calendars. For athletics, visit www.battlingbishops.com.
• Now Through Jan. 31 – “In Close Proximity,” featuring seven OWU fine arts faculty members displaying their latest works, at the university’s Richard M. Ross Art Museum, 60 S. Sandusky St..
• 3 p.m. Jan. 2 – OWU women’s basketball vs. Ohio Northern, in Branch Rickey Arena, 105 S. Sandusky St. Tickets for all women’s basketball games are $10 for adults, $3 for students, and free for anyone under age 5 or with an Ohio Wesleyan ID.
• 7 p.m. Jan. 4 – OWU women’s basketball vs. Baldwin Wallace, in Branch Rickey Arena.
• 6 p.m. Jan. 6 – OWU women’s basketball vs. Wooster, in Branch Rickey Arena.
• 6 p.m. Jan. 8 – OWU men’s and women’s swimming and diving vs. DePauw, in Meek Aquatics and Recreation Center, 150 S. Henry St.
• 6 p.m. Jan. 13 – OWU women’s basketball vs. Hiram, in Branch Rickey Arena.
• 8 p.m. Jan. 13 – OWU men’s basketball vs. Wabash, in Branch Rickey Arena. Tickets for all men’s basketball are $10 for adults, $3 for students, and free for anyone under age 5 or with an Ohio Wesleyan ID.
• 6 p.m. Jan. 15 – OWU men’s and women’s track and field teams host the OWU Triangular, at Gordon Field House, 105 S. Sandusky St.
• 8 p.m. Jan. 15, 22 and 29 – Evening programs at Ohio Wesleyan’s Perkins Observatory, 3199 Columbus Pike (U.S. 23). Content varies based on sky conditions, but may include a planetarium show, observatory tours and star gazing with the 32-inch Schottland Telescope. The observatory will be closed Dec. 26. Advance tickets are $10 for adults, and $8 for children and senior citizens. Reserve tickets by calling 740-363-1257.
• 7 p.m. Jan. 16 – 52nd annual OWU President’s High School Band Festival, featuring high school musicians from around the region and Ohio Wesleyan’s symphonic wind ensemble, conducted by OWU music professor Larry Griffin, in Gray Chapel inside University Hall, 61 S. Sandusky St.
• 2016 Martin Luther King Jr. celebration: ‘The Strength to Love – ALL.’ At 3 p.m. Jan. 17, the 31st annual worship service at Zion A.M.E. Church, 140 S. Washington St. Featured speaker will be the Rev. Curnell Graham of Linworth United Methodist Church in Columbus. At 7:45 a.m. Jan. 18, the 23rd annual MLK breakfast celebration sponsored by OWU and the Delaware County Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Committee, in the Benes Room of OWU’s Hamilton-Williams Campus Center, 40 Rowland Ave. Featured speaker will be Gregory Moore, editor of The Denver Post. Moore, a 1976 OWU graduate, has been named the National Press Foundation’s “Benjamin C. Bradlee Editor of the Year” and received both the Journalist of the Year Award from the New England Chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists and the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Association of Black Journalists. The breakfast buffet will begin at 7:45 a.m., followed by the program at 8:30 a.m. Individual breakfast tickets are $20, with eight-person table sponsorships available for $160. For more information, contact the OWU chaplain’s office at [email protected] Reservations and payment are requested before Jan. 8.
• 6 p.m. Jan. 20 – OWU women’s basketball vs. Oberlin, in Branch Rickey Arena.
• 7 p.m. Jan. 20 – “Orange is the New Black” author Piper Kerman discusses the 13 months she spent in a federal correctional institution and signs books, which will be for sale at the event. Kerman will speak in Gray Chapel. The event is sponsored by the Friends of the Delaware County District Library. Tickets are on sale at www.eventbrite.com.
• 8 p.m. Jan. 20 – OWU men’s basketball vs. Oberlin, in Branch Rickey Arena.
• Jan. 23 – Bishop Backers Community Day 2016. This event, which begins at noon, will include children’s activities; an expo of area organizations and businesses; and OWU men’s and women’s basketball games. Admission to both games is free with a canned food donation to benefit LSS Food Pantries.
• 7:30 p.m. Jan. 27 – OWU women’s basketball vs. Wittenberg, in Branch Rickey Arena.
• 3 p.m. Jan. 30 – OWU men’s basketball vs. Hiram, in Branch Rickey Arena.
• 3:15 p.m. Jan. 31 – Ohio Wesleyan music faculty recital featuring Frank Chiou, David Niwa, Mariko Kaneda-Niwa, Crystal Stabenow and Jennifer Whitehead, in Jemison Auditorium inside Sanborn Hall, 23 Elizabeth St.