Ohio Wesleyan University has announced its May 2016 lineup of public events.
Unless otherwise noted, admission is free.
The schedule includes:
• Now through May 8 – “Relativity,” featuring mixed media artwork created by OWU’s Class of 2016 fine arts majors, at the Richard M. Ross Art Museum, 60 S. Sandusky St. The exhibition is a juried show, with pieces on display selected by the university’s fine arts faculty. Call 740-368-3606 for more information.
• Now through Sept. 21 – “Crystal Synergy: The Confluence of Science and Human Imagination,” featuring abstract art created by 1966 Ohio Wesleyan graduate Thomas “T.H.” Saunders, who grows and photographs microscopic crystal structures made from wine, coffee and aspirin – and other materials. Saunders’ exhibit is being showcased in two OWU venues: Alumni Gallery, inside Mowry Alumni Center, 16 Rowland Ave., and the nearby Gallery 2001, inside Beeghly Library, 43 Rowland.
• Noon and 3 p.m. May 1 – OWU baseball double header vs. Wittenberg, at Littick Field, 199 S. Henry St.
• 9 p.m. May 6, 13, 20 and 27 – Evening programs at Ohio Wesleyan’s Perkins Observatory, 3199 Columbus Pike (U.S. 23). Content varies based on sky conditions, but may include a planetarium show, observatory tours and star gazing with the 32-inch Schottland Telescope. Advance tickets are $10 for adults, and $8 for children and senior citizens. Reserve tickets by calling 740-363-1257.
• 7:30 p.m. May 7 – Baccalaureate, a celebration planned by graduating seniors to celebrate their OWU spiritual and educational journeys, in Gray Chapel inside University Hall, 61 S. Sandusky St. The theme of this year’s baccalaureate is “Beyond the Circles of Our Worlds,” representing the opportunity of the students to form and join different community circles during their time at Ohio Wesleyan.
• 1 p.m. May 8 – Ohio Wesleyan’s 172nd commencement ceremony, with keynote speaker Gregory L. Moore, OWU Class of 1976, in front of Merrick Hall, 65 S. Sandusky St. As editor of The Denver Post, Moore led the paper to four Pulitzer Prizes before his retirement this year. In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be indoors and, because of limit seating, tickets will be required.
• 11 a.m.-10 p.m. May 19 – OWU men’s and women’s track & field hosts the Great Lakes Elite Meet, at the George Gauthier Track inside Selby Stadium, 45 S. Henry St.