Tim Rumas picked up right where he left last season, leading the Big Walnut boys soccer team with a hat trick in a 4-1 win over Teays Valley in the season opener Friday night in Sunbury.

Rumas, off an Andrew Mickley pass, got the scoring started early when he beat TV goalie Justin Hill on the left side just under three minutes into the game. Hill finished with 10 saves for the Vikings.

“We wanted to come out and pressure early,” BW coach Tyler DeLorenzo said. “We did exactly what we wanted to do from the start … get a goal off of our pressure.”

Rumas and Michael Reardon scored within 1:01 of each other to allow the Golden Eagles to seize control.

Hill made a save from point-blank range on a Sam Mason shot, but Rumas put it back to give him the hat trick and push the lead to 4-0 with 34:10 left.

Rumas capped an improbable three-goal comeback against Hayes with the game-winner in overtime to advance the Eagles in the OHSAA Division I tournament last year.

“He had a fantastic year last year running by people,” DeLorenzo said. “(Friday night), he just picked up where he left off.”

Mickley found Rumas again at the 27:11 mark before Reardon scored off of a Nicholas Flury pass with 26:10 to give the Eagles a 3-0 lead.

“It had a lot to do with my midfield — they had a lot of great balls,” Rumas said. “(Mickley) can hold up a ball really well and that makes my job a lot easier because that gives me time to make the run.”

Tyler Durdette shot off a corner kick by Dimitri Gegas, but BW goalie Michael Kline made the save. Matthew Fleming put back the rebound to get the Vikings (0-1) on the board with 19:33 left in the game.

Kline had two saves in goal for the Eagles.

Delaware Christian 2, William V. Fisher Catholic 1

The Delaware Christian boys soccer team opened the season with a 2-1 win over William B. Fisher Catholic High School Friday evening.

Jared Gibson scored in the 25th minute, finding the back of the net off an assist from Isaac Rindfuss to put DCS up 1-0. William V. Fisher Catholic evened things up in the 48th minute, but Rindfuss scored what proved to be the game winner in the 68th minute (no assist).

Curtis Bean had five saves for DCS in the first half and George McRae recorded three saves in the second.

By Michael Rich

[email protected]

Follow Michael Rich on Twitter @mrichdelgazette.