Negotiations ongoing in felonious assault case


Plea negotiations are ongoing in the case of a Delaware woman charged with felonious assault after breaking a Delaware County Sheriff’s deputy’s finger and spitting in his face while she knew she was a carrier for hepatitis.

Crystal Gail Farley, 36, of 317 Chelsea Street Apt. B, Delaware, appeared in Delaware County Common Pleas Court Monday morning for a hearing before she stands trial on May 25 and faces a charge of felonious assault, a first-degree felony; one count of harassment by inmate, a third-degree felony; two counts of assault, fourth-degree felonies; resisting arrest, a first-degree misdemeanor and one count of criminal damaging, a second-degree misdemeanor.

According to court documents, the prosecutors and Farley’s attorney, Jeffrey Burkam, are pursing a plea agreement in the case and did not ask Delaware County Common Pleas Judge David Gormley to move the trial date.

Additionally, Gormley decreased Farley’s bond from $50,000 to $10,000.

At Farley’s arraignment, Assistant County Prosecutor Andrew Bigler told Gormley that at a Delaware Municipal Court hearing on March 2 Farley learned she would have to spend time in the Delaware County Jail and became upset. Bigler said when Delaware County Sheriff’s deputies went to take her into custody and take her to the jail she became physically resistant and attacked Deputy Jack Daniels.

Bigler said during the struggle Farley broke Daniels’ finger and spat in his face. Bigler said that Farley knew she was positive for hepatitis C when she spat in Daniels’ face. Bigler said she tried to spit in the face of another deputy before she was placed in the back of a police car, where she kicked and damaged the barrier.

Bigler said Daniels’ finger was broken and tendons were torn in the struggle. Daniels has received treatment for his injuries.

Gormley told Farley she could face a maximum sentence of up to 11 years in prison for the first-degree felony charge.

The trial is estimated to take two days.

Court records indicate that Farley’s municipal court case was a child endangerment and criminal damaging case from July 2016 that ended when Farley pleaded guilty, paid a fine and was placed on community control. Farley was appearing in municipal court for a community control violation and was sentenced to serve 8 days in the Delaware County Jail.

Farley was in the Delaware County Jail Monday.

By Glenn Battishill

[email protected]

Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.

No posts to display