Where can you go to be impressed by a variety of agricultural exhibits and farm animals, test your hand-eye coordination on an arcade game, view the “best of” contest entries, scream during a hair-raising amusement ride, and drool over an amazing array of fair food? The Delaware County Fair!
Join Delaware Soil and Water Conservation District for this year’s event and participate in one or all of our hands-on activities.
In addition to daily educational events, the Delaware SWCD shelter will be full of pollinator and outdoor conservation facts and ideas for you and your home. Delaware SWCD staff has been working hard this spring and summer to maintain the native perennials that were planted in 2019. Some annuals you’ll find in the conservation park this year are butterfly weed, coleus, common milkweed and salvia.
Here is our event schedule:
• On Saturday, Sept. 17, we will host our annual make-your-own buckeye necklace station. This event will start at 3 p.m. and continue until supplies are depleted. Show your team spirit by wearing your own handcrafted necklace, just in time for The Ohio State University Buckeyes’ football game, which begins at 7 p.m. Also on Saturday, Public Lands will host two “Let’s Learn Together: Car Camping for Families” experiences at 2 and 4 p.m. This experience shows families how car camping is an excellent introduction to outdoor adventure and packing the right gear can make all the difference. Public Lands camp experts will walk participants through the process of planning a successful camping trip outdoors. From choosing a great campsite, to completing a gear checklist, and ending with fun activities for the entire family, this class will prepare everyone for their first camping adventure!
• On Sunday, Sept. 18, families are invited to paint their own kindness rock from 3 to 6 p.m. or until we run out of supplies. These special rocks are simply a stone that is typically painted with some sort of inspirational message and can be kept, gifted, or hidden in a secret location for a stranger to find and keep as a reminder to spread kindness around the world each day. The afternoon also includes fun experiences hosted by Public Lands at 2 and 4 p.m. called Let’s Learn Together: Hiking Essentials and Camp Cooking. In this experience, you can join Public Lands camp and hike experts to learn the essentials for a hike in the wilderness. This presentation will highlight how to choose the correct gear, where to find the best hikes locally, and expert tips on eating well and staying hydrated throughout a hiking adventure. A sampling of dehydrated camp meals will be prepared and available for taste tasting. The evening holds additional fun with our annual outdoor movie, “Over the Hedge.” Hang out on a straw bale with free popcorn and refreshments, while viewing this kid-friendly movie. (In case of rain, the movie and snacks will be moved to Monday, Sept. 19).
• On Monday, Sept. 19, families are welcome to engage in pumpkin painting with the Buckeye Valley FFA students from 11 a.m. to 1 p. m. Also on Monday, Cabela’s will host a club booth with giveaways and store information from 3 to 7 p.m.
• On Tuesday, Sept. 20, people are welcome to make their own nature crown using paper and other natural items found in nature to show that they can be the leaders of conservation. Public Lands will host a Fishing 101 & Casting Clinic at 2 and 4 p.m., which will help people learn everything you need to know for your first fishing outing! This presentation will cover the many types of fishing available, the variety of equipment necessary, how to use that equipment, and most importantly, how to catch the first of many fish! Following the presentation, participants will have the chance to practice casting with provided demo equipment.
• Wednesday, Sept. 21, is our last day at the conservation park. We will host a storm hole corn hole tournament and have pollinator scavenger hunts for people to participate in from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
County fairs provide competition, entertainment, racing, food stands, and educational exhibits for people of all ages. Combine all of these with an opportunity to visit with your friends and neighbors, and you won’t want to miss this year’s Delaware County Fair! You can find the Delaware SWCD’s fair schedule on our website at soilandwater.co.delaware.oh.us and our social media pages.