In light of Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine issuing a stay-at-home order Sunday, Delaware City Schools has elected not to distribute meals to the community on Friday. Instead, the district will give out the Friday meal on Thursday.
Jennifer Ruhe, director of communications for Delaware City Schools, said Monday that while the DCS lunch distribution program and the Pacer Pantry are considered “essential services,” the district will not be distributing meals this Friday.
“Our schedule change this week is to begin to limit the number of days that we are asking both staff and community to come to our school sites,” Ruhe said in an email Monday.
The district, she added, will instead be handing out Friday’s meals on Thursday. Ruhe said Blessing Bags, which are meals for the weekend, will also be distributed Thursday.
Superintendent Heidi Kegley sent out an email to families asking those who plan to pick up meals to practice social distancing and safe practices when they come to the school buildings.
“For everyone’s health and safety, please stay in your car (if you can) to receive your meals,” Kegley said. “If you must walk, please ensure 6 feet of physical distance from each other and our volunteers. Thank you for the incredible work you are doing at home with our students. We are blessed to be a #PacerStrong community.”
The meals can be picked up from 11 a.m. to noon at each of the elementary schools and from Willis Education Center, which also houses the Pacer Pantry, and at the district’s various bus drop off locations within the city:
• 11:05-11:15: Shroyers Mobile Home Park by the office on U.S. Route 23
• 11:30-11:45: 1330 Hanover Road Trailer Park at the shelter by the entrance
• 11:50-12:05: 2672 Panhandle Rd (For students at 2121 Panhandle Road)
• 11:10-11:25: 174 Silver Maple at the playground
• 11:27-11:42: Fern and Cumberland
• 11:45-12: Stratford Road at South Town Lane entrance
• 12:02-12:17: Waters Edge Apartments @ the entrance
• 11:10-11:25: River and Hayes at the entrance to the apartments
• 11:27-11:42: Delaware Lanes bowling alley
• 11:45-12: Village Gates Apartments at entrance at Bowtown Road
• 11:05-11:20: Heritage St. and Adams St.
• 11:23-11:38: Bruce Road and Downing Road
Bus # 35
• 11:05-11:20: Trotters Landing at Warrensburg Road entrance
• 11:25-11:40: 222 Curtis St. – Hidden Ridge Apartments at the entrance to the apartments
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.