Braves blank Golden Eagles 2-0 in D-I sectional final


By Michael Rich

[email protected]

Nick Miller’s first-half goal didn’t seem like it would be enough for Olentangy, but the defense made it hold up as the Braves blanked visiting Big Walnut 2-0 in a Division I sectional final Saturday in Lewis Center.

Nick Celona’s throw-in ended up on Miller’s chest after a clearing attempt by the defense. Miller was able to control the ball and fire a shot into the right side of the net to give Olentangy (6-9-2) a 1-0 lead with 20:49 left in the first half.

“We just had to keep playing hard,” senior captain Collin Hoffmann said. “(We couldn’t) shut down at all after that.”

“It’s huge because usually what happens is we let a goal in early and then we’re having to play catch up most of the game,” Olentangy coach Pat Schick said. “We use Celona on throw-ins and we aim for Carter Kinniard’s head … and most of the time we win it. (This time) it bounced out to Miller and he buried it.”

The lead didn’t seem safe after the Golden Eagles’ comeback win Wednesday night — a win in which they scored four unanswered goals at Hayes. Big Walnut put pressure on the Olentangy defense early in the second half, but it couldn’t get a shot on net.

“We didn’t execute,” Eagles coach Tyler DeLorenzo said. “We didn’t play well enough to win. It’s OK, there’s no shame in that. Some days that happens.”

Schick had nothing but respect for Big Walnut after the game.

“(Big Walnut) follows their coach very well,” he said. “Their coach is very respectful and very well-known just from the standpoint of his kids do what’s right. They work hard — how can you not have respect for something like that?”

Caleb Gibson had five saves in goal for the Eagles.

Hoffmann credited his defense after the game. He only had to make two saves to preserve the shutout.

“My defense was working for me tonight,” he said. “They were blocking shots and doing what they needed to do. They made my job a lot easier.”

Nick Conway’s goal with 5:11 left in the game ended the suspense.

“It was insurance and that’s what we needed,” Schick said. “With (an opponent) like that, if you can get another goal late, it’s huge because there’s no telling if they’re going to get one in.”

Big Walnut finishes its season 10-7-1 under DeLorenzo, a first-year coach with the school.

“It sucks when the season ends,” he said. “But I think when we look back on it, we’re going to be happy with what we accomplished this season. It’s a terrible feeling (right now).”

Olentangy will travel to Gahanna-Lincoln, the four-seed, in the district semifinal Wednesday night at 7 p.m.

“I think we can beat them,” Hoffmann said. “As long as we play with effort, play together and do all of the things we need to do, I think we can beat those guys.”

Liberty 11, Marion Harding 0

The Patriots set the tone early, using eight first-half goals to sail past the visiting Presidents in a Division I sectional final Saturday in Powell.

Luke Bean and Trevor Collins scored a pair of goals apiece while Colin McCort, Cameron Cantrell, Ean Dowell, Oliver Person, Douglas DeNoi, Derek Rubadeux and Andrew Slawson smoothed out the scoring summary.

Lebo Modiselle had a team-best two assists in the win while Tommy Hlinka and Jeremy Karr each had a save while splitting time in the Liberty goal.

With the win, the seventh-seeded Patriots will host ninth-seeded Westerville South in Wednesday’s district semifinal.

Buckeye Valley 3, Centennial 2, SO

Brennan Perrine scored with just seven seconds left to send the game into overtime and, after two scoreless overtime periods, the Barons made good on all four of their shots in the shootout to notch a thrilling Division II sectional final win over visiting Centennial Saturday in Delaware.

Regulation and the first of the two OTs were played Thursday afternoon, but darkness forced the teams to halt the action until Saturday … when things really got interesting.

After a scoreless second overtime sent the game into a shootout, BV senior Caleb Herriott calmly converted the first kick.

Centennial’s DeWayne Scott made it 1-1 before the Barons’ Tommy York and Stars’ Kameryn Wilson converted their kicks to keep things even.

Dalton Spencer nailed the next shot to put BV up 3-2 and Baron keeper Caleb King saved the shot of Sam Benson to give his team the upper hand.

Mitch Rotondo hammered home the next kick to make it 4-2 and, after King saved his second straight shot, the Barons were in full-blown celebration mode.

“Obviously, Caleb was the hero when we resumed play. Our shooters deserve a lot of credit, too,” BV coach Eric Staley said. “We went with four seniors in our lineup because I wanted them to shoulder all of the pressure.”

Next up, the Barons will take on second-seeded Hartley in Tuesday’s district semifinal.

Also: Hilliard Davidson 4, Orange 1.

Follow Michael Rich on Twitter @mrichdelgazette.

Olentangy’s Justin Rehklau, left, uses his body to shield the ball from Big Walnut’s Chase Geddis during Saturday’s Division I sectional final in Lewis Center.’s Justin Rehklau, left, uses his body to shield the ball from Big Walnut’s Chase Geddis during Saturday’s Division I sectional final in Lewis Center.
Patriots, Barons advance to district semis

No posts to display