The Delaware school board approved a preliminary list of 2016 graduating seniors and construction for the expansion at Smith Elementary School, as well as several smaller projects, at its meeting Monday.
The board began the meeting by approving the preliminary list of seniors at Hayes High School for graduation. School officials said they would be reviewing the list Tuesday to remove students who have not met all graduating requirements after final grades were tallied on Monday. Graduation will be at the stadium at Hayes High on May 21 at 10 a.m.
The board also approved several construction and improvement projects.
The first project was an asphalt repair and striping project throughout the district. The project will be done by M&D Blacktop Co. and will cost $39,870.
The second project was roof repair at Conger Elementary School. The project has been contracted to Weatherproofing Technologies and will cost $219,986.
The board also approved contracts for the new expansion, which includes a gym and new classrooms, at Smith Elementary School. The contracts include:
• A $715,400 contract with Thompson Excavation Ltd. for excavation work at Smith Elementary and Woodward Elementary.
• A $1,876,600 contract with Robertson Construction Services Inc.
• A $689,000 contract with Kirk Bros. Masonry Inc.
• A $194,000 contract with Feldkamp Enterprises Inc., a mechanical contractor.
• A $385,505 contract with Bell & Blair LLC, a mechanical contractor.
• A $508,700 contract with Accurate Electric Inc.
• A $358,541 contract with Trane Building Services for HVAC equipment at Smith Elementary.
The board will break ground on Smith on June 8.
The board also approved a number of resignations, including Barb Keister and Sarah Holliday, teachers at Smith Elementary; and Richard Fisher and Jeffrey Dapo, teachers at Hayes High.
The board also approved the employment of David White and Maddison Brown, who will teach at Hayes, and approved contracts for certified employees and summer enrichment camp staff.
The board also received a brief presentation from district students who recently took part in the State Science Fair. The students told the board about their projects and their experiences at the fair.
The board’s next meeting will be on June 6.
Glenn Battishill can be reached at 740-413-0903 or on Twitter @BattishillDG.