A young hero who saved a life last month was honored at Delaware’s City Council meeting Monday.
Council chambers erupted in applause as Evan Lamping, 14, received a proclamation from Mayor Carolyn Kay Riggle. Council member Chris Jones read the proclamation in place of Riggle, who had lost her voice.
“On July 24, Michael Kroner suffered a severe allergic reaction, in Seven Springs, (in western) Pennsylvania, after being stung by a bee,” Jones read. “Lamping was taking part in a nearby family reunion dinner when alerted to the need of an EpiPen.”
An EpiPen is a device used to inject adrenaline in the event of anaphylaxis.
“Lamping rushed with his own EpiPen to the aid of Kroner, who was successfully administered the injection procedure,” Jones continued. “Evan Lamping performed a truly heroic deed that very likely saved the man’s life.”
“I know how serious this was, because I have an allergy that’s very severe, and it takes less than a minute for anything serious to happen,” Lamping said upon receiving the proclamation. “I didn’t want to waste any time. I’m just glad I was there to help out.”
In a recent Gazette article, Jessica Kroner said her husband, Michael, was taken to the hospital but “is doing great.” One of her sons, 6-year-old Mason, was also stung, and it was uncertain whether he would have the same reaction as Michael. Fortunately, he did not.
The Lamping family also helped the Kroners by looking after their two boys, packing up their condo and driving their car.
“I was just really amazed at how they all stepped in and took care of us,” Jessica Kroner said. “Not everyone would do that. The right people were there at the right time and we’re just really lucky. God was definitely watching over us.”